Following the 1923 education reform, which made primary school attendance compulsory until completion, a pressing need arose to build new school facilities to meet the growing demand for education.
In Bitonto, the local mayor promoted the construction of the city’s most crucial school building. Years earlier, the site was identified as a strategic area linking the modern borough with the rural outskirts, covering an area of around 20,000 square meters.
In 1931–32, the final project took shape. The resulting building featured an elongated layout with two monumental entrances, separated by gender, following the regulations of the time. Developed over two floors, the structure included spacious, light-filled classrooms, grand staircases, and architraved portals supported by columns and pilasters.
Originally named after the Prince of Piedmont, Umberto of Savoy, the building played a somber role during the Second World War, when German troops first occupied it and later by Allied forces.
In the 1950s, the school was renamed in honor of Nicola Fornelli, a distinguished pedagogue from Bitonto whose name had already been commemorated in the street maps of numerous Italian cities.
Born in Bitonto on May 25, 1843, Nicola Fornelli joined Garibaldi’s Redshirts at a young age and played an active role in Italy’s Risorgimento.
After the country's unification, he began working as a primary school teacher, eventually completing his studies and earning a professorship at the University of Bologna.
Throughout his career, he held various political positions related to education, advocating a student-centered approach that emphasized the real needs of learners.
A passionate supporter of Italy’s entry into the First World War, Fornelli died in 1915 shortly after witnessing his country’s involvement in the conflict.
.
Borgo Racconta is a registered trademark of
BweB – PiccolaGrandeItalia.TV